Thursday, January 15, 2009

Inspiration and good friends

Today I dyed four veils.

The photo to the left is my daughter Veronica at four months and myself. It was taken by Sarah Skinner, her work throughout my pregnancy and early months of Veronica's life has brought me much joy. I'm amazed at how she can capture fleeting instants of emotion on camera. Please visit her websites: http://www.shakemyday.com/ ; http://www.weclick.net/ .

I hate to say I have been fighting a little bit of a funk lately. With the exception of every time I look at my daughter I have had a mild case of sadness for about a month. I know it's not post-partum depression, but I don't know if it's my hormones still adjusting from the birth of my daughter six months ago, or the economy, or my hair falling out, or my (much too much) disappointment in myself for not having my body where I want it to be. I've had a hard time adjusting to Veronica's schedule. I was fully ready to give up my life as I knew it but I had no idea what was in store for me until this little girl graced my life.

I know the old expression, people come into your life for a reason may be old and overplayed, but I know booking Sarah to capture my pregnancy and the joy of my miracle child on film was one of the best decisions I made this past year. We met yesterday for Veronica's six month photo shoot. I was in my mild funk, and mad at myself for leaving a time-toiled wreath made specifically for the shoot in the car, which had been driven away by the valet at the parking garage. Good conversation, good people, and a nurturing atmosphere for even one afternoon can make all the difference. Sarah was very kind, patient and reassuring, and my little girl was an angel, even when she was fussy it didn't last long. She rolled and slept, smiled and creeped, grabbed my face and her toes and was a true champ. Sarah's creativity and amazing work with staging and lighting made me feel inspired for the first time in a looooong time. I am gleefully awaiting a peek at the pictures. I know Sarah will have done an incedible job. I also brought some silks to the studio in case she would want to use them in the pictures. Her encouragement at new techniques I am working on to set myself apart from other silk artists in my genre started to light the fire under my pot of dye.

I normally feel aggravated when I want to work and frustrated because I don't have enough time between baby naps to get anything done. I can't leave work instantly at a crucial moment to respond to a crying baby. Knowing my daughter is my biggest priority I of course give up on work. Well, I'm starting to get the hang of this mom thing lately, and feeling really good about it. I realized I'm getting my groove back.

Today I dyed four AMAZING veils. I feel inspired. It's a great start :)

3 comments:

  1. This is touching, I feel emotional suddenly. The instincts of motherhood, the beauty of art and dance, how they tug you apart, and what is that all about? I have been touched this week by a broody hen that was determined to set on 8 eggs and 7 hatched into the most remarkable chicks. Watching nature do its thing, and instincts on both ends - mothering and baby-ing - I am in a tender place about it all. And my daughter is getting married in August.

    Anyway, thank you for your kind comment at synchronizing with the hubbub of Blog of Note. You have a unique role here. I could go on and on, the photographer's work is such a gift to you. And you've expressed it all quite poignantly. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful picture!! You will cherish the photos you had taken during and after pregnancy forever!! What a wonderful idea.
    Don't worry - life will get back to normal, and you will feel like these few months went by too fast. When people tell you to enjoy them now because they grow up so quickly - they are right!! I have 2 teenage boys (18 & 17), but it feels like just yesterday they were little ones following me around all day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Balance comes, just ride it and enjoy it for now (my daughter is 3.5 next week) ~also, I am a complete stranger (but one who dyes silk, too,LOL) but please do keep an eye on your feelings, you seem very self aware... PPD can be sneaky~ it took me until about 9 months postpartum to recognize/ accept it.

    ReplyDelete